Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Taking a break

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

For the last couple of months I have been fairly close to my computer and active as a mod, but you won't hear so much from me for the next 6 weeks. I'll be travelling around England for 2 weeks and then leading two National Geographic expeditions around the Tanzanian parks, especially Serengeti where our focus will be the migratory herds. We will pass through the SSS study area a couple of times, but I can tell you, we won't see as many species in the flesh, as you can on this site!
    I will still check in from time to time, so save me some really tricky IDs 😉
    Have fun, and thanks for all your hard work on this project - David

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

Hi David,
    Thanks for all your help on the site. I always make sure to read your comments because I always learn something! Have a great trip and remember to wave to the camera if you pass one. 😃
    Anke

Posted

• sisige by sisige

Happy travels, David! 😃

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

Like areinders, I too, always read your comments, as you have such a wealth of knowledge and its great to learn more.

Have a great trip to England, hopefully the weathers not a 'typical British summer'--rain! LOL Although forecast this next week is not too bad, depends I suppose were your heading. We've had some short lived, but loud thunder storms, lately.

The NG expeditions sound really interesting, hope they go well. and Yeah, if you go past a camera, give everyone a cheezy grin and a wave, for next seasons pics! 😃
    All the best David.

Posted

• Wea by Wea

Enjoy your time. Will Miss your keen eye and good explantions !

Posted

As you can see, I'm not completely gone 😃
    I am hiking in Wales at the moment - well, relaxing post-hike.
    As for grinning at a camera, I think most of them are situated in places where I as a tourist cannot go - off road. We are rigorously confined to tracks and roads in SNP. This is yet another example of what a privileged view you guys get!

Posted

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday

Don't know how I missed your good-bye post. Just remembering from last year I figured it was time you would be traveling and leading tours again. Thank you so much for your help with the IDs. Teaching us clues we can use in doing our own is akin to teaching a man to fish. And as always those bits of humor! Happy travels! 😃

Posted

• Jinx by Jinx

Enjoy your travels! Hope you find some time on the Nat Geo expeditions to check in.

Posted

• aliburchard by aliburchard scientist, translator

Enjoy your time in Serengeti, David! Keep your eyes peeled for a camera on the track that leads north from Sametu to Kibumbu, if you make it out that way. If you do manage to get a photo in a camera trap, I think we need to award some prize for the first person who IDs it on Snapshot Serengeti...

Posted

I entered the Serengeti yesterday from Ngorongoro, with my merry band of 27 in 5 Land-cruisers. The vast plains were dusty brown and bone-dry with occasional Grant's, Tommies and ostriches. There were a couple of lions with tiny cubs under a bush right by the road, then a leopard perched on a high rock shaded by a tree. Near the middle of the park we headed west into the woodlands and started seeing giraffe, impalas, waterbuck, buffalo, topi, great masses of hippos on river banks, a majestic herd of 25 elephant mamas and kids...and a wonderful leopard who prowled out of the tall grass and crossed the road right behind my car. There are still some zebras around, but all the gnus will be in the far north - we'll fly there today. At dinner at Sopa Lodge we were joined by Meredith (one of the Snapshot Scientists) and Daniel from the Lion Project, who gave a super presentation to the group about his work. Buffalos grazed outside my window all night - chomp, chomp - and hyenas whooped occasionally. Got up at 0430 to see off 22 of the group who are taking the balloon flight at sunrise. Later this morning, we were blessed to see a PANGOLIN walking along beside our road - only the third time I ever saw one, and first time in daylight!! Our driver had never seen one, and said that for his people, seeing one would bring you a year's worth of good luck.
    So, this is just a glimpse of the reality behind all those randomized images that you classify!

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan in response to davidbygott's comment.

Hope the pangolin brings you the advertised luck! How much good luck do you get for a zorilla? 😉
    Enjoy your time on the Serengeti.

Posted