Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Only an antilope neck

• Wolbo by Wolbo

Not enough for me to identify this animal. Ideas?

enter image description here

Posted

• vdurand by vdurand

Gotta be a lion.

Posted

• aliburchard by aliburchard scientist, translator

Probably a #tommy, based on the shape and color.

Posted

• Wolbo by Wolbo

Tommy = thomson's gazelle?

Posted

• katieofoz by katieofoz

yes, tommy seems to indicate a Thomsons gazelle

Posted

• Blaydon by Blaydon

I'd say a hartebeeste

Posted

• errol1989 by errol1989

I would say Lioness

Posted

• Wolbo by Wolbo

Interesting variation. The moving series (still don't know how to post those) show it's panting heavily. My guess would be that it's not a lioness because of the distinct angle between neck and head and also the fur at the bottom of the neck looks a bit too smooth and short.

Posted

• Leopard by Leopard

Blaydon I am with you - a hartebeest 😃

Posted

• vjb by vjb

This would be a cool one to see the scatter of guesses they get so that users can see the use of way-out guesses as opposed to clicking "nothing here". (I love looking at the nature scenes, but I also am really curious about stats.)

Posted

• derek1g by derek1g

I'd guess Hartebeest. "Make your best guess." I'd assume that people will be all over the board on this one so they'll keep showing it to more users and aim for a majority vote. Or maybe the system gives up on some picts that don't reach consensus. Anyone know anything more about how that's done?

Posted

• lucycawte by lucycawte moderator

Shape of neck and size of head suggest hartebeest, colour also suggests hartebeest rather than the similar topi

Posted

• tgr by tgr

Would be nice if we could somehow see the distribution of users' identifications on images when discussing them, especially like these.

Posted