Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Is there any way to make the photographs larger?

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

The images are sized the way they are to optimize the performance of the site. But you may be able to make the photos a little bit bigger by asking your browser to ‘zoom in’. You can find browser-specific information on how to change the zoom level here.

Posted

• LifeAt8kFt by LifeAt8kFt

Also, on a windows PC (don't know about others) CTRL+ will make it large and CTRL- smaller. CTRL0 (zero) will set it back to no zoom in or out.

Posted

• tewen by tewen

Most operating systems provide a magnifier app. In windows it is called magnifier. If you can use a second monitor, it is possible to 'dock' the magnified view to the second monitor (this requires manually resizing the window and moving it). It will then magnify at the zoom you prefer centered around the mouse cursor. There are also lens and whole screen modes. I am working at 800% on the second monitor and I find it immensely helpful.

Posted

• schaep by schaep

optimized for storage room needed then, thats always good of course. Maybe an extra option / checkbox could be provided like "could be more accurate with high resolution picture". After when that checkbox has been checked a couple of times the high resolution pictures of these photo's could be uploaded to the site and then reissued to viewers.
    The site still stays optimized, but when functional the high resolution can provide more accuracy.
    Good idea?

Posted

• scilaci by scilaci

I right click on the image and choose "view image". That gives me the image in a clean space. Then I hold down the CTRL key and move the roller on my mouse to zoom in and out.

Posted

• tirralirra by tirralirra

Wow! I just tried that and it worked brilliantly. Perhaps this trick could be promulated widely? In the tutorial, etc? (And I guess I can use it in all sorts of places. Thanks scilaci.)

Posted

• tirralirra by tirralirra

Oooops... scilaci... when I do that, how do I get back to the original image? When I click the back arrow, the page reloads and gives me a new image. Is there another way back to the original image?

Posted

• sbpj by sbpj

For tewen. THANK YOU! re the magnifier appl - new machine and didn't know that's what that icon was! I was being driven mad by Ctrl+ and - while trying to watch the 3 different camera shots!

Posted

• sbpj by sbpj

For ADMIN: Could you possibly fit in a place where we can leave/look for tips ?

Posted

• ajg by ajg

The magnifier browser tools are fine, but you don't get any more pixels so as you zoom you make the image pixelated in a bad way. For some images if we had full res we could see what's off in the distance better. Maybe a 'click to enlarge' so it's not shown everytime but the user can get a higher res version for more details?

Posted

• scyth by scyth

I think that full-sized pictures are somewhere hidden. Look at the picture address:
    http://www.snapshotserengeti.org/subjects/standard/50c216c08a607540b9055442_1.jpg
    My guess is that if you replace /standard/ with some other path then you'll get the full sized image. But what is the correct path I don't know...

Posted

• PatrikD by PatrikD

Zooming in the browser does NOT give you any higher resolution (at least not in Firefox); it just makes the pixels bigger. The only way I know to see the full resolution is to click View Image (but then you may not be able to get back to the Classify window), or to copy the image in an image editing program.

I think this is a rather stupid implementation. I fail to see how this would in any way "optimize the performance of the site". It definitely doesn't optimize the performance of the classifiers...

Posted

• Dov by Dov

it's probably so that the site doesn't get slowed down by bandwidth usage... doesn't have to do with optimizing performance for individual users. i do agree that a slightly higher res picture would help to identify, but i find i can get by with control+ to zoom in with my web browser. remember, IDs don't have to be perfect: there is a census.

Posted