Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Seeing duplicate images? Please post details of them here.

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

If you can post the link to the photo that you have classified before, this would be very helpful in resolving the problem that some are reporting, because the scientists and Zooniverse teams can check out what the problem is, so it can be fixed.

They can also check to see if you have classified the same photo twice or if it just happens to be a very similar looking image captured moments later.

Thanks

Posted

• eugenius by eugenius

I have seen at least 6 duplicates, and did not realize this was not intended until I saw this thread. I will try to
    remember to post a chat comment from now on.

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

Just keep in mind that some cameras capture very similar images over and over, for instance when there is grass growing in front of it. You can check when the image was taken by clicking on the little pointer icon below the image in the classifying mode. I remember thinking that I saw the same image over and over but had to realize that some animals (hartebeest, I am talking about you), hang around the same spot day after day.

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

I think areinders that the reports of duplicate images, were just as you describe, very similar images. but thought it best to see if people were seeing double images or just moments later images. however if anyone has proof they have, had the same image (the last letters and numbers on the address will be identical, as will the time on the image) please do report it.

Posted

• Envirogirl667 by Envirogirl667

I agree with AowlanCrystal and arienders on this. I often see very similar pictures, but when I put them side by side, there are slight differences. Some areas in the Serengeti and als very similar, so if the camera snaps a shot in both places at similar times, there is also a chance of confusion.

Posted

• Envirogirl667 by Envirogirl667

For example, ASG000z2ef is very common

Posted

• rlb66 by rlb66

I had one where I made two separate comments but can not find. However, here is another one by tuxcomputers, Image ASG000ygk9

Posted

• sisige by sisige

Just encountered this one for the second time. ASG000yrhp

The previous time was about 200 classifications earlier, when I was classifying last night on a different computer. It's a pretty distinctive composition, with the animals (warthog, giraffe, and passenger birds) and the colorful sky, so I knew I had seen that exact picture before.

Posted

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday

Tonight I got this and was positive it was a duplicate ASG000y07n I went back through my profile in the classification section, needless to say a laborious process, and found what looks like a duplicate. The thing is it was indeed taken the same day,but about 30 min later. ASG000y07t So what for what my brain perceived to be a duplicate, the answer is, no it was not!

Posted

• rlb66 by rlb66

Here is one from P A Lewis, Image ASG0010srh

Posted

• wildebeesty by wildebeesty

ASG000n2k I am very sure that I classified it two times because the first time I classified I put it in a collection and the second time I was going to do the same when I saw it was already collected

Posted

• wildebeesty by wildebeesty

ASG000n2k

Posted