Snapshot Serengeti Talk

What are good hashtags for gazelles and hyenas?

• DZM by DZM admin

Since there are two types of hyenas and gazelles, how should they be tagged in good photos?

Might I propose:

#spottedhyena
    #stripedhyena
    #grantsgazelle
    #thomsonsgazelle

Or would it be better to just use #hyena and #gazelle ? Or #hyenaspotted , #gazellegrants , etc?

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

I'm an old guy who doesn't understand hashtags, but I think it's better to use the full name, separate the words with a hyphen, and the order doesn't matter. I just tried entering various tags in the Search function, and #spotted-hyena returned exactly the same pictures as #hyena-spotted, but #spottedhyena returns far fewer pictures. Interestingly, #striped-hyena returns almost as many pix as #spotted-hyena, though striped are much rarer - but those that I looked at were mostly misidentified aardwolves, wildebeest, spotted hyenas, jackals, lions, tommies and warthogs! Curiously the tag #hyena returns fewer entries than either #spotted-hyena or #striped-hyena. Hope this helps?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hm, I had no idea that the hyphens made either permutation work! Is that a universal thing wherever hashtags are used (i.e., Twitter)?

... Wow, who is misidentifying wildebeest, gazelles and warthogs as hyenas? It gets that tricky, huh?

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Yes DZM, sometimes it seems totally random! Search #rhino too, and even if you aren't very familiar with the animals, you will see what I mean. People are SO eager to find rhinos! As Kipling has it, "strange, how desire doth outrun performance"!

Posted

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday

And any animals that you can see mostly just their eyes glowing at night are usually thought to be #predator and/or #prey. Most of the time they end up being one of the same group of animals maybe standing a little off to the side. So, many think an attack is about to happen!

Posted

• iamfern by iamfern

Hi, I tried to find when to use hashtags and what their purpose is and was unsuccessful. Can someone help?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hi @iamfern --! You can use hashtags whenever you want to, particularly when you see a cool or unique animal or behavior. Anything that stands out to you.

When people use them, they help the scientists--and other zooites--to find images of certain animals and/or behaviors.

Feel free to hashtag any images you think deserve special notice!

Posted

• iamfern by iamfern

Thanks!

Posted

• abigail50 by abigail50

I'm trying to find out HOW to use the bloody hashtags! I don't have twitter and know nothing about these critters. Can somebody tell me where to find out how to use these things. Please?

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator

Like you I don't fully understand these things . I think that you can use the hashtag however you want but it makes sense (to me at least) to use one that says what it does on the tin ie a tommy would be #thomson's or #tommy. That way when people wish to search for a certain species they have a good chance of finding it. If you put #tomeatgrass then there will be few, if any, people who will search for an image bearing that name.

If you read what @davidbygott and others have to say about it above that may also help.

I have been searching for various things lately and the simple way seems to work best.

Hope this helps 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to abigail50's comment.

@tillydad has it generally right.

All you have to do is comment in the little box under each object on its object page with the pound sign (#) and a descriptor, like, #hyena or #elephant.

Hope that helps!

Posted

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday in response to abigail50's comment.

What I am getting out of this from what Davidbygott has said, once you hashtag something, it cannot be undone. So he, as a moderator, cannot correct IDs people incorrectly make here on the discussion pages. If you are questioning if indeed an animal is that elusive rhino, my suggestion is to say, Is this a rhino? or rhino? and not put the hashtag with the word rhino. That is unless you know for sure it is a rhino and you are telling the rest of us that.

I am not a Twitter user, but this is what I am picking up from using this site. If I am off-base please let me know.

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator in response to mistyfriday's comment.

That is my understanding too @mistyfriday . I only ever use the hashtag when I am certain of the ID 😃

Posted

• abigail50 by abigail50 in response to DZM's comment.

DZM, that is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so very much.

Posted

Now may I ask this: Is there one place in your profile where you can see at a glance all the animals you have 'tagged'? For example, when I look at a saved wildebeest pic. (that I have not tagged) it says no hashtags. Yet I have tagged a hippo. So short of going through all my pictures, how would I find which ones I have tagged?

And what does it mean when it asks "Create a tag group"?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to abigail50's comment.

I should be able to answer both of your questions right here. 😃

Posted

Okay, that answers my 'how do I do this..." for the day! Thanks muchly!

Posted